If a guy somewhere in Asia makes a blog and no one reads it, does it really exist?

Wednesday, December 8

The gravy life

The International Labour Organization recently reported that half of the global work force, some 1.4 billion people, live in grinding poverty, subsisting on less than two bucks a day. Some 550 million, almost 40% of these impoverished people, earn less than $1 a day. 200 million have no job at all.

You'd think that with the world in such a miserable state, people like me would be grateful to have any job that allows them to pay for decent food and shelter.

Considered from this perspective, it seems ridiculous that I should get so upset over something so trivial as losing my fiancee. Oh, woe is me, I can't sleep well, food doesn't taste good, I'm so so sad! Poor Nick!

Well, waaaa. At least I have food to eat. I have the ability to earn money, I am healthy, I am a card-carrying member of the upper crust. I have more money saved up than most people in the world will see in their entire lifetime. And I'm sexy. What the hell am I worried about? Job satisfaction? Give me a fucking break. I wear clean underwear, take hot showers at night and eat three decent meals a day. I even get two whole days of the week, and six hours every evening, during which I don't have to work! What more could I ask for.

I'm reminded of a line from Platoon that goes, "We don't add up to dry shit. Whoever said we did man? All you got to do is make it out of here. It's all gravy. Every day, the rest of your life--gravy."

I am living the gravy life. We all are. Anyone who is reading this on a computer with an Internet connection is probably living a life smothered in the richest, lumpiest gravy imaginable. Do you think the concept of romantic love means anything to these 1.4 billion destitute people? Offer a starving man a bowl of maggot infested rice or a beautiful woman and he'll choose the rice. While guys like me are having dreams about sexy chicks, these people are dreaming about eating chicken.

With gravy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Galerie de Shinobu said...

Ahh, Nick, you've matured into a man! You're time in Korea has had a purpose :)

Here's something that'll really put things in perspective. http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Faizi

12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home