If a guy somewhere in Asia makes a blog and no one reads it, does it really exist?

Sunday, January 30

Clouds of Doom

The pollen... It is coming... It's all I can think about these days. It's all Japan can think about, too. Every time I turn on the TV, I see clips of sinister looking cedar forests shedding massive clouds of pollen, like locusts setting out to lay waste to Japan's nasal passages. It's a horrible sight. They say that the pollen count this spring is going to be up to thirty times higher than last year. I can't even imagine. There's hardly any pollen at all in the air now, and my nose is already completely blocked up.

From what I can gather, two major factors are contributing to this year's allergen hell: last year's unusually long growing season, and the fact that most of Japan's cedar trees planted after WWII are reaching maturity now.

At least I am not alone. "Allergic rhinitis is the most prevalent chronic disease in the United States, affecting approximately 35 million people, or nearly one- fifth of the American population."

Also, "Ragweed is the most important cause of allergic rhinitis in the US, affecting about 75% of allergy sufferers. One plant can release one million pollen grains a day. Ragweed is everywhere in the US, although it is less prevalent along the West Coast, southern Florida, northern Maine, Alaska, and Hawaii. The effects of ragweed in the northern states are first felt in middle to late August and last until the first frost. Ragweed allergies tend to be most severe before midday."

And, "The American Academy of Allergy says that some of the best places to escape ragweed are: the north and south rims of the Grand Canyon, San Francisco, San Diego, Hawaii, the mountainous areas of Idaho, upper Maine, the Great Smoky Mountain area, the Virgin Islands and the northern edge of North Dakota."

I also learned that people born in autumn tend to be the most severely affected by seasonal allergies. Babies that are exposed to large amounts of pollen within the first six months of their life are more apt to develop an immunity.

I've incorporated into my diet large amounts of garlic, calcium, onions, yogurt and Taiwanese tocho (凍頂茶) oolong tea. It hasn't helped. Andrew Weil suggests taking quercetin, a plant pigment that acts as an antihistamine and anitioxidant. It can be found in foods such as apples, onions, raspberries, black and green tea, red wine, red grapes, citrus fruit, cherries, broccoli, and leafy greens. Might as well give it a go.

I'm even seriously considering buying an air cleaner for $200.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

そろそろ更新してください。
by cringon

1:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

やる気あんのか?
by Umeno Seishiro

1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

今度、パープレで石焼きビビンパを皆で食べに行きましょう。

by カーデシア人モグリジュンビー

6:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

花粉症とかけて私の醜い体ととく、そのこころは・・・どちらも対策なし! 

10:15 PM

 
Anonymous Air Purification said...

Was wird die Auswirkung im Ende sein?Deeply, Lavenia electronic air purifier

11:38 AM

 
Anonymous allergy relief air purifier said...

Hey this blog is not about allergy relief air purifier. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on allergy relief air purifier and it brought me to your blog on Clouds of Doom. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Nick and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I will snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff on here that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

9:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found some really good deals about
Esteban guitar
on a site about Seen On TV products.
There are many of these sites but
this one was easy to get around and
had a toll-free number in case you did not
want to order over the net. Check it out.

9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Do you have rss feed I can tap into? #ionic breeze quadra air purifier#

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story you got here. I'd like to read something more concerning this matter. Thnx for giving that information.

8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for that exact make. The prices seeking the boots were around 240 bucks on every page. But finally I base this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you say about it?

12:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

7:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that singular brand. The prices seeking the velcros were around 170 dollars on every page. But definitively I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you say about it?

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home